firstname.lastname@example.org | Washington, D.C. | https://www.jeffbaranski.com
Curious and motivated Engineering Manager with a proven track record of delivering highly available, scalable, and performant software responsible for serving millions of customers daily.
Capital One 03/2021-Present - Manager, Lead Software Engineer
- Manage a team of software engineers developing mission critical high transaction per second low latency web services: Define and plan product roadmap, coach and mentor direct reports, recruit and build team.
- Architect and implement enhancement that eliminates redundant downstream API calls by sourcing data from the database directly: Improved API response times by ~35%, from ~20 ms to ~13 ms. Led to ~70% decrease in requests to the downstream API, from ~2.7 billion daily requests to ~834 million daily requests, resulting in ~$87,000 annual infrastructure cost savings.
- Architect and implement big data batch process that determines which customers to target for in app messaging related to their account data sharing activities with 3rd parties: Send notifications to ~3 million customers every day. Recognized with quarterly “relentless commitment to excellence” award in Q2 of 2022 for my contributions leading this project.
- Technologies used: Java, Spring Boot, Python, PySpark, Hadoop, SQL, AWS: Lambda, ECS, EMR.
Verisign 03/2020-03/2021 (1 year) - Software Engineer
- Authentication web services for domain name registrars: Java, Spring, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Ansible, OpenCloud.
Knexus Research Corporation 01/2019-03/2020 (1 year 2 months) - Senior Software Engineer
- AI search web services and GIS UI for a DoD (Department of Defense) customer: Java, Python, TypeScript, Angular, OpenStreetMap.
Infor 02/2009-12/2019 (9 years 10 months) - Senior Software Engineer
- Managed a team of six onsite and offshore developers, which included regular travel to Hyderabad, India for face to face co-working and training.
- Rewrote large, complex, and buggy Ant based legacy build process with Gradle. Led to 70% faster builds, from 2.5 hours to 45 minutes.
- Implemented client certificate authentication (PIV/CAC card login) for Department of Defense (DoD) customers. Maintain existing authentication mechanisms (SAML based SSO, LDAP SSO, internal username/password).
- Architect, configure, and administer modern CI/CD build flow. Includes self hosted Maven repository (Nexus Repository Manager), self hosted docker container registry (Nexus Repository Manager), self hosted Jenkins server.
- Part of a 4 person architecture team that ported legacy product UI to Ext JS for multiple browser support (1500+ screens and tab views).
- Architect and implement horizontal server auto scaling when application running in AWS. Led to ~$1,000,000 annual savings on AWS server costs.
- MS in Computer Science 08/2022: Vanderbilt University (Grade: 4.0/4.0)
- BS in Computer Science 12/2008: University of South Carolina (Upstate)
Licenses & certifications
- AWS Knowledge: Serverless 07/2023
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate 12/2021-12/2024
- Department of Defense (DoD) secret security clearance 01/2019-03/2020