firstname.lastname@example.org | Washington, D.C. | https://www.jeffbaranski.com
Curious and motivated Senior Software Engineer. Looking for opportunities to solve challenging technical/domain-specific problems.
Senior Software Engineer at Capital One from 03/2021 to Present
Capital One is a diversified banking company specializing in credit cards, auto loans, checking, and savings accounts. Senior Software Engineer focused on secure customer data sharing and customer consent messaging.
Engineering team lead on an AWS EMR/PySpark distributed data processing product that determines which customers to target for in app messaging related to their 3rd party data sharing activities.
Successfully lead engineering effort from ideation to production release. Architect, implement, and maintain all major product components and infra. Also created epics and stories, lead epic grooming and sprint planning, handle cross team communication for internal system integrations and address any issues that arise.
Senior Software Engineer on a microservices-based distributed system responsible for sending customer credit card, auto loan, and bank account transactions to 3rd parties (like Mint.com, mortgage lenders, etc…) on behalf of ~20,000,000 customers and counting.
Product requires 24/7 uptime and has strict low latency SLAs in the ~200 ms range.
- Mentor junior team members. Assist with any technical issues/hurdles to keep them unblocked. Help them work towards team specific and professional goals.
- Java, Spring Boot, Maven, Go, Python, PySpark, AWS (Lambda, EMR, Aurora MySQL, ECS, SQS, EC2, Cloudwatch, S3, IAM), Jenkins
Software Engineer at Verisign from 03/2020 to 03/2021 (1 year)
Verisign is a global provider of domain name registry services and internet infrastructure. Software Engineer on a highly available microservices-based distributed system responsible for authenticating, authorizing, and recording financial transactions for Verisign’s customers (customers include registrars for TLD’s like .com, .net., .gov, .edu, .name, .cc, .tv, .jobs).
- Java, Spring, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, FitNesse unit testing framework, Gradle, Docker, Ansible, Terraform, Jenkins, OpenStack cloud.
Senior Software Engineer at Knexus Research Corporation from 01/2019 to 03/2020 (1 year 2 months)
Knexus Research performs artificial intelligence and machine learning research for the Department of Defense (DoD). Senior Software Engineer who collaborates with product stakeholders and AI researchers to architect and implement their experimental algorithms in deliverable software components.
Held a Department of Defense (DoD) secret security clearance for this role.
- Java, Gradle, Python, Angular, Leaflet, Open Street Map, GitLab CI/CD, GraphQL, Node.js, MongoDB, Zapier
Senior Software Engineer at Infor EAM from 02/2009 to 12/2019 (9 years 10 months)
Infor EAM is a mature monolithic multi-tenant Java EE asset management application (Fortune 500 customer base) with an on-premise and SaaS offering. Full Stack Software Engineer to all layers of the application (UI/frontend, web services, database), DevOps Architect for the application CI/CD pipeline, Tech Lead to in house and offshore developers.
- Lead a group of up to six onsite and offshore developers (includes travel to Hyderabad, India for face to face co-working and training).
UI Framework (Ext JS):
- Part of a 4 person architecture team that ported legacy product UI to Ext JS for multiple browser support (1500+ screens and tab views).
- Implemented support for client certificate authentication (PIV/CAC card login) for Department of Defense (DoD) customers. Help maintain existing authentication mechanisms (SAML based SSO, LDAP SSO, internal username/password).
- Design, develop, review new and existing REST/SOAP APIs. Ensure backwards compatibility met while still satisfying new requirements.
- Rewrote large, complex, and buggy Ant based legacy build process with Gradle. Led to 70% faster builds (from 2.5 hours to 45 minutes).
- Architect, configure, and administer modern CI/CD build flow and dockerized application. Includes self hosted Maven repository (Nexus Repository Manager), self hosted docker container registry (Nexus Repository Manager), self hosted Jenkins server.
- Architect and implement horizontal server auto scaling when application running in AWS cloud. Led to ~$1,000,000 annual savings on AWS server costs.
2021-2022 (in progress): MS in Computer Science from Vanderbilt University
2003-2008: BS in Computer Science from University of South Carolina (Upstate)
Licenses & certifications
- Issued 12/2021-Expires 12/2024: AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate